Why We Serve

Matthew 25:40 states “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did to me.” So we follow Jesus’ example of caring for others in our community and around the globe.

Who We Support

Decatur Human Services

Office Hours
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9:00am-12:00pm
102 S. Phelps St Decatur, MI
(269) 423-6474

We support DHS through regular donations of food and financial contributions. Rev. Katie Hartwell currently sits on their board and keep us connected to the ongoing needs in our community. Each year our session and our youth host a Souper Bowl lunch to support DHS. We also sponsor one of Decatur Human Service’s Soup Suppers for the community every spring.

Decatur Family Shelter

(269) 423-9450

We support Decatur Family Shelter through financial contributions and hosting supply drives.

Earth Care


(269) 423-9450

We support Decatur Family Shelter through financial contributions and hosting supply drives. We are a certified Earth Care Congregation, which means that one of our chosen missions is the care and stewardship of the earth. We replaced all of our building’s light bulbs with energy efficient ones. We avoid using Styrofoam, we drink out of REAL coffee cups and we use locally grown flowers to decorate our sanctuary in the summer and fall. We have adopted a section of Highway 51 and pick up trash three times a year. We also offer recycling for our members who do not have recycling at home. And we give thanks for God’s animal kingdom when we hold a Blessing of the Animals service in the fall.

Crop Hunger Walk

(269) 423-9450

We support Decatur Family Shelter through financial contributions and hosting supply drives. Each year we participate in the Crop Walk in Paw Paw to raise money to end the fight against hunger. In 2019 our Confirmation class, with the support of our congregation raised over $1000.

Presbyterian Women

Presbyterian Women
Purpose: Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves: to nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study, to support he mission of the church worldwide, to work for justice and peace, and to build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (USA) and witness to the promise of God’s kingdom.

Presbyterian Women hold regular meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of the following months at 7:00pm: April, May, June, October, November and December.

Least Coin

A worldwide fellowship of women, who through prayer and giving the least coin of their country, provide funding for mission projects and human needs. These funds are distributed ecumenically through Church Women United. This offering is received at each PW meeting.

Thank Offering

Received every fall in thankfulness for God’s many blessings. 40% allocated for health ministries. Funds are sent to hospitals and community health programs that place priority on helping the neediest members of God’s community. This offering is received in our November meeting.

Birthday Offering

No more than 5 projects are selected by the Creative Ministries Offering Committee each year, chosen based on meeting the needs of hurting people and with the faith that adequate money to fund them will be received. This offering is received at our April meeting.

Presbyterian Mission through Special Offerings

One Great Hour of Sharing

OGHS enables the church to share God’s love with our neighbors-in-need around the world by providing relief to those affected by natural disasters, providing food to the hungry, and helping to empower the poor and oppressed. It is collected on Easter Sunday.

Pentecost Offering

The Pentecost offering helps the church encourage, develop and support its young people and also address the needs of at-risk children. 40% of our Pentecost offering stays in the community, in most recent years helping the VFW purchase and fill backpacks for children in foster care. The remaining 60% is used to support the ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency. It is collected on Pentecost Sunday.

Peace and Global Witness Offering

The Peace and Global Witness Offering enables the church to promote the Peace of Christ by addressing systems of injustice across the world. 25% of this offering stays here in the community, 25% stays within Lake Michigan Presbytery https://lakemichiganpresbytery.org/, and 50% is used by the Presbyterian Mission Agency to advocate for peace and justice in cultures of violence, including our own, through collaborative projects of education and Christian witness. This offering is collected on World Communion Sunday.

Christmas Joy Offering

The Christmas Joy offering provides assistance to current and retired church workers in their time of need and developing our future leaders at Presbyterian-related schools and colleges equipping communities of color.